I LOVE the beach. I love the ocean, the sun, the kisses of salt spray as the wind whips around you. While my previous summers have been spent cruising the east coast from the beaches of Maine to the bays of the mid-Atlantic, this year we tamed ourselves with just one week of beach vacation. Sad, but adult life must go on. We made the most of our allotted week with plenty of family time and fun in the sun and doing everything quintessential to the perfect beach trip. That included getting drunk with red solo cups, plunging into waves, getting henna tattoos, eating boardwalk fries and pizza, playing mini-golf, star gazing, and of course, beach reading.
It’s August! The summer is in full swing. I’m currently on vacation (though this post was obviously written over the course of July in it’s entirety) and I gotta say I’m super stoked to get in some beach reads and soak up ALL the sun I can for the week!
Whether you’re enjoying summer or stuck at work, here’s something to give you a little break: my favorite finds and reads from the internet this month!
- Part of my 2016 bucket list is to go on a trip alone. With my growing love of yoga and my forever love of the ocean I’m totally thinking this Yoga and Surf retreat might be just what I need.
- I can’t believe I’m only JUST hearing about REI’s United Outside summer series of events (to celebrate their first location in DC!). Campfire s’mores and a wine and photo tour? SIGN ME UP! Anyone else outdoorsy want to go!?
- Keeping on with this theme of adventure…these under $500 vacas are screaming my name for weekend getaways.
- to get politically topical…this is how to get white people to stop being racist (scientifically).
- Since I’m at the beach, why not enjoy these vintage beach photos! How glam was beach going back in the day, sans SnapChat and Selfies? I’m hoping my squad and I can be as glam as the one above.
- Now looking ahead and out of summery goodness into some prefall date nights, I really need a fire pit in my yard or on my porch. What about you? I legit can’t get over the copper metal one!
Let’s be real guys; I’m a totally classic white girl and I love me a summer glass of Rosé. Pink wine all the time; Rosé s’il vous plait. While I’m out sipping wine and feeling fine with my friends you best believe I’ll proudly wear it on my shirt.
One of my favorite things about warm weather is grabbing a spot under a tree by some grass for an afternoon picnic. I remember when Z and I were first dating and we’d take a day off to sit in the grass on the national mall and people watch, enjoying our young love.
Lucky for us, we’re still in love and still love heading to a grassy spot. With the perfect picnic basket full of cheese, charcuterie, crackers, and wine I’m ready for an afternoon of fun in the sun with our bests!
“Carrie” skirt c/o The Girl That Loves (last seen here)
J.Crew shirt (get it here)
Gondola Picnic basket c/o Picnic Time (get it here)
Colby cheese board c/o Picnic Time (get it here)
Blanket by Go Throw (get yours here)
want this wine? It’s custom by Winc and I’ve got a free bottle just for you right here!
What’s you’re favorite summer tradition?
When it’s too hot for jeans but you work in an office and can’t wear shorts…and are too fashion-y for capris, then it’s time to break out the kick flares! I’m loving this denim trend this season; it’s fun, flirty, and just 90s enough to make my heart sing Alanis Morisette songs. Paired with a white button front and my classic mules I’m ready for a day at the office, or a happy hour with the girls.
I’m especially loving these jeans specifically; they’re from NY&Co which I wouldn’t peg as a great source for jeans but once I put these on it was love at first fit. They’re superrrr soft and stretchy, with lycra built in and a little bit of fade. Let’s not forget the un-hemmed aesthetic with it’s darkened bottom ending in a fray. Completely on trend while being affordable and comfortable; such a win!
It’s summer time! For those of us in DC, or any major city, we know that the heat can stifle any-and-every thing. After a long week of drilling work and social obligations, blogging, and life in general all I want to do is languidly lounge in some water.
One of my favorite day trips in which to do this is to head to Harper’s Ferry, West Virginia. Just an hour and a half West of DC is the West Virginia border, straddling the Potomac and Shenandoah rivers. Grab your friends and a cooler of snacks and canned wine or beer and hit the road towards the Harper’s Ferry Adventure Center.
This is my second year in a row of making this a summer tradition and it gets better every time. I have always chosen their tubing adventure, where you take your friends and a cooler and lazily float down the river sipping, snacking, and enjoying life. With the backdrop of the Shenandoah mountains there’s no shortage of awe inspiring sights. If you’re lucky, you’ll even see a heron or other wildlife!
Other activities include ziplining through the trees and mountains, hiking, kayaking, canoeing….Anything outdoorsy and it can be done in Harper’s Ferry! If you’re in the DC/Baltimore/Virginia area I definitely suggest you check them out.
What’s your favorite summer tradition? How do you check-out and enjoy the sun?
Let me know in the comments!
Now I see shades of roses
Your love, I suppose, is an ocean the ebb and the flow
But I can feel the rogue inside my veins
A way to crash the castle we made of sand
I was once a punky-teen; headed to Vans’ Warped Tour annually decked out in my favorite printed shoes (of that summer). I had solid pairs but my favorites I remember were pastel star print and pink flamingo on black canvas print, all before those things came into the sartorial spotlight. And while I haven’t been to a Warped Tour in years it will forever be a piece of nostalgia that I cling to.
These days I’m less likely to be caught in flat sneakers wandering vacant lots turned music venues, but when the boyfriend pointed out these leopard Vans I knew it was meant to be. I needed a new casual shoe for weekend errands and these have made their way into my regular footwear rotation. And of course, they go with everything!
top c/o Olive and Oak
Levi’s Curve ID jeans c/o
Vans shoes (get them here!)
“Nikki” Clutch c/o Linell Ellis
YSL Lipstick in “Le Orange”
It’s July already!? I swear it feels like summer just started and I had just finished posting my June musings. I seriously can’t believe summer is half over (and that I haven’t been by a pool or a beach yet!)! Send help in the form of self tanner and pool floats, plz.
On to the best things I’ve read so far this month:
- These living room styles through the ages are dreamy! I love that my own home has a mix of so many styles and inspirations.
- I recently stumbled upon the series of Motherhood around the world on Cup of Jo. As a woman who loves traveling and learning about cultures it’s been an exciting read! One of the things that struck out to me the most, though, is that a mother in Kenya they could only find blonde haired, blue eyed baby dolls. Upsetting much?
- I’ve just started getting into the Listen Money Matters podcast and their episode about SoFi was so intriguing; who knew you could save an average of $19,000 while repaying your student loans!?
- I, like every social media obsessed girl, love SnapChat. and I’m totally already fantasizing all the GeoFilters I could create for events and my neighborhood using this super easy tutorial! Watch out World, QSS is going into SnapFilters!
- If you’re thinking about switching jobs read this first! I wish I had before entering the real work force.
- YOU GUYS. NYC just announced for FREE feminine products in public spaces. If you follow me on Twitter, or know me in real life, you know that this makes me so happy I could (and maybe did) cry. This is such an important thing and I can’t wait to see which cities follow suit.
- I haven’t traveled at all in June, so I’m left with a little wanderlust on the mind. I’m thinking a tropical birthday getaway this winter a la this rocky coast.
Wishlisting: After watching The Intern I’ve decided I really need some high waisted wide leg trousers for my workweek wardrobe. Here’s a lust-worthy pair and here’s an affordable pair; which do you love best!? I’ve got espadrille fever and I’m loving the ones from Soludos; there’s so many great pairs it’s hard to pick! And they’re all under $100!
What’s been your favorite finds this month!?
Soft neutrals perfectly compliment a bold green shade; throw in some snakeskin boots and I’m ready to party! Or head to work…
Here’s a look at a casual work day look I wore recently. I was inspired by the color combinations from the Spring/Summer 16 runway shows and knew I had to make the trend wearable and my own.
What’s your favorite color combination for spring? What’s inspiring you this season?
There’s something charming about colonial era townhomes in an old-as-the-nation but bustling and modern city. Richmond’s Linden Row Inn has managed to capture the historic feel of the 1600’s with the updates and modern luxurious touches of the 21st century. All that and it’s equidistant to the downtown area as well as the bustling and hip Careytown. Walking up to the brick buildings you can’t help but think you’re in a time warp; that is until you step into the bright lobby with it’s clean white check in desk and friendly staff.
Up to our room we went, past modern local art and the lovely dining room, to our fourth floor temporary abode overlooking the garden courtyard where a wedding was to take place the next night.
Our room was beautiful; full of classic furnishings, ultra soft bedding, and a super luxe bathroom. If you know me, that’s the kicker with anywhere I stay! With each room boasting an original fireplace and exceptionally tall ceilings, with windows to match, the space was as cozy as a dream. Perfect for mid-day naps, as well as late night sleeps after the long days.
After a day of eating, shopping, and exploring our way through Richmond there was nothing better than going back to our room to kick off our shoes and relax! And total perk that the old brick is a great noise buffer to the sounds of a wedding happening just beyond our walls!
Have you been to Richmond? What do yo think of my stay? Be sure to see more of my travels here and check out the Linden Row Inn on InstaGram and Twitter (I hear they’re offering great summer travel deals exclusive to their followers!).